Flyby-lines...

Loading...

Friday, July 23, 2010

Kicking the Tires and a Trip to Fantasyland...

I am thinking that, given the cap space, this would have been a Great Idea. In fact isn’t that what MOST Free Agency Periods are for? Signing the one or two Veteran players that will provide a little scoring, a little depth, and a little leadership for the younger players.

Two Words…Mark Recchi…

How much would you have liked to have his Leadership, his energy, AND his 18 goals and 25 assists over 81 games last year for a relatively low hit of $1.7M? How much would you like to have it again this year for $1.95M…

Or, say…Mike Knuble and his Veteran presence around the net, his 29 goals and 24 assists over 69 games with just a $2.8M hit…How much would you like it again this year…

Of course hind sight being 20/20 we look now and go, aw $hit…that’s 47 goals – 49 assists for a hit of only $4.5M…Hmmm…almost 50 goals, way more than this guy we are paying $5M for right now.

The Flyers have some truly exciting young players that are just starting to come into their own. This team would have certainly benefitted from a couple of “Re-Treads” along to add some punch, add some scoring and help to ‘Mature the Kids’

The fact that there are more than a couple of these guys that were available over the last two seasons, and available fairly cheap, and we didn’t add one or two (instead opting for guys like Jody Shelley and his AWESOME career PPG of .091) is disturbing to me.

Here’s another example, would you have preferred to ‘Kick the Tires’ on a guy like John Madden for the same money we wasted on Shelley? He may not bring scoring, but he is a faceoff-winning penalty-killing machine…Where Jody Shelley is useful in providing ballast at one end of the bench so it doesn’t fly up when the PLAYERS sit at the other end…

While I do realize that a mistake will never be acknowledged, and I understand WHY Homer would never come out and admit that he ‘Screwed the Pooch’ with free agency this year, there are ways to fix (or at least put a shiny new bandage on) the problems…

Shelley = Mistake…Walker = Mistake…Cote = Unnecessary

If I Were The King of Flyerland for a Day…

All three of these guys would be gone, shipped off to Adirondack (hopefully with someone claiming Shelley and Walker on waivers), thus clearing myself $3.3M and giving me a total of approx $3.6M to work with…

Now I go get me a Left Wing…I have a few options here that could be cost effective…I could try to ‘Kick the Tires’ on Paul Kariya (providing he would play for 1.5-1.8M/year, which is quite a step down from the $6M he made last year, but worth a shot on a 1 or 2 year deal). Or, I could bring back “Rusty” Fedotenko for 1-2 years at about $1.5M…OR I could ‘Kick the Tires’ on Jere Lehtinen for a year in the $1.2-1.5M range…

I am left with approx $1.5-1.8M left to play with…

Now I go get me a Right Wing…Again there ARE options…Teemu Selanne? Unlikely as I doubt he would play another year for anyone but Anaheim. Petr Sykora would be an option as he played last year for $1.6M, Bill Guerin is an option, but I see this as being a slim chance as he didn’t seem to want to play for LESS than $2M again, but he might be enticed to play for a year at $1.8M, or what about taking a shot with Marek Svatos, still a younger guy (27), he averaged 20 goals over first two years before having a severe drop off last year. He would be a ‘project’ that I see as similar to Zherdev (When he WANTS to play he can be brilliant), and considering his poor showing last year I am fairly confident that he could be had for $1.5-1.8M/year for 1-2 years (down from the $2.35M he made last year)…

So…Meanwhile back in Fantasy Land…

I have managed to convince Kariya to join the Orange & Black for 1 year @ $1.695M
I have also secured the services of Sykora for 2 years @ $1.1M/year…

I have thrown all of my ingredients into the bag, shook ’em up, and these are the lines that popped out…

Kariya ($1.695M) - Richards ($5.75M) - Carter ($5.0M)

Hartnell ($4.20M) - Briere ($6.50M) - Leino ($800K)

JVR ($1.654M) - Giroux ($821K) - Zherdev ($2.0M)

Carcillo($1.075M)/Powe($725K)/Lappy($1.167M) - Betts($700K)/Powe - Sykora($1.10M)

and Defensive Pairings of…

Pronger ($4.921M) - Carle ($3.437M)

Timmonen ($6.33M) - Coburn ($3.20M)

Meszaros ($4.0M) - O’Donnell ($1.30M)

Bartulis ($600K) is waiting in the wings…

Behind this Re-Vamped Line-Up I keep my Goalies as

Leighton ($1.55M) and Boosh ($925K)

Although I am secretly hoping that Johan Backlund ($800K) outplays Boosh and takes the back-up spot (NO DISRESPECT MEANT TO BOOSH)…

I am looking at my Line-Up, I am excited by the possibilities, I am thrilled to have fit all this under the Cap…

THEN I WOKE UP…

And found that Walker and Shelley were still on the Roster and we only have $300K in Cap Space…

1 comment:

  1. or - designate Cote and Walker. Have a little more than 2 million cap room. Convince Turco to join the FLyers at that rate. Designate Boucher. The Flyers have #1 goalie Turco, a strong defense, the same strong offense as last season, and still have $900,000 in cap room for maneuvers during the season.

    ReplyDelete